Friday, September 11, 2009

"Pain is temporary-Pride is forever"

If I had to create a bumper sticker that modeled my philosophy for life, it would be "Pain is temporary-Pride is forever". This was something that one of my drill Sergeant had told me during basic training. The more I think about the philosophy the more I realize that it applies to many aspects of my life. Almost a mind over matter. There was an instance when I was doing a ruck march and was able to work through the pain of a broken foot to complete the march because of this motto.
Pain is not always physical. This bumper sticker can apply to anyone doing something that may be difficult or make them uncomfortable. The difficulty is only temporary, however the sense of pride is well worth it and lasts much longer. This motto has gotten me through many difficult tasks and pushed me to do and complete things I may not have otherwise completed.

18 comments:

  1. wow. I think i can relate to that too. when i was doing gymnastics, i had to do certain stretches that often hurt alot, but after a while it didn't hurt so much and i felt proud that i became more flexible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice post and I agree with you. Many times in my life I have felt like just giving up because the pain, either mental or physical was too great, but I'm a prideful person so I can totally relate to this saying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we can all relate to this. You're right, pain is temporary.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pride does last longer so it was worth participating in the march, interesting story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like this because it reminds me to live it up! And it's all worth it at the time haha

    ReplyDelete
  6. That takes dedication. You have a lot to be proud of.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a really inspirational story that you were able to do that with a broken foot. my boyfriend actually says the same motto and he got it from boot camp for the marines.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi John,

    I used to do ballet. I usually got caught up in the moment and since my goal was so important to me I would not even notice the blood on my feet (which are terribly delicate)until I was finished. Unfortunately, I could endure physical pain but was not as brave with emotional pain. As a teenager I went through a tough time (very long story) and stopped dancing. I wish I had had the strength to keep going because I would be very proud of myself right now if I had. It is important to think about your motto not only for physical pain but in the case of emotional pain also.

    ReplyDelete
  10. well it can apply to any situation its something that we all go through. in order to be successful or good at anything you have to go through a tough period and then exprience the joy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Definetely a true statement. The more difficult the goal, the more rewarding the victory.

    ReplyDelete
  12. True.when all eyes on the price pain is temporary.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is pretty crucial that you finished a march on a broken foot. I admire that a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi John,
    I really like your moto and strength. I find it crazy how you marched with a broken foot. Good job holding your pride.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is very true, although in all seriousness i would have quit if my foot had been broken. Maybe I can learn a few things from this motto.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This motto is very deep. It is great motto to live by. With this motto you can overcome anything in life.

    ReplyDelete
  17. hey john!your motto is very important.I agree that this motto can apply to anyone.

    ReplyDelete