Social networking sites such as MySpace and Facebook have become a significant part of today's society. Sites like these have become a primary source of communication for many people and a way to reconnect with old friends. Basically they are a great way to keep in touch with people who aren't important enough to warrant a phone call or face to face interaction.
Social networking sites are now the main source of communication for many people. These people feel the need to constantly update their 'status' with every detail of their life. People tend to feel to safe on the Internet and as a result share too much information. Sometimes forgetting that they have five hundred plus 'friends' of which they may only know seventy five or so. Once something is on the Internet it is there forever, people share information and pictures that they may not want to follow them around for the rest of their life.
Aside from the possibility of violent crimes, especially against children, there are other effects to using social networking sites. Potential employers and universities have started to look at peoples Facebook and MySpace profiles to weed out candidates. Social networking sites can also create an unsafe sense of familiarity. Just because you happen to be friends with someone on MySpace or Facebook doesn't mean you actually know that person, they could be anyone, including a convicted sexual offender.
The Internet and social networking sites can be very useful tools, when used correctly. Personally, I do not currently use networking sites. But, when I was deployed and didn't always have access to a telephone these sites were very a great way for keeping in touch with friends and family at home. I think the choice to use these sites is just that, a personal choice that comes along with risks. There is no way for these sites to regulate member usage and guarantee safety. It is up to the individual to be responsible for their own safety. Even if policies were reformed there would be no actual way to verify the information.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I think you bring up a good point in your post. Just because someone is your "friend" doesn't mean you actually know them in any real depth. In addition it is true that child predators is just a small part of other risks that go along with the internet. You are right in the statement that what you choice to join and how you conduct yourself is a personal choice. In the end the users are responsible for how they act online.
ReplyDeleteWhoa, you have some of the same ideas that I do, and I just read your essay. Although I agree with most of your ideas, I think telephone/ cellphones are used more often as a primary way to communicate. Most people have phones, not the internet.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI have the same opinion you do. it's up to a person's decision to use a social networking site and to accept the risks. Also, i agree that networking sites CAN be safe if used correctly.
ReplyDelete